This experience involves a meditative walk through the Presidio, while listening to sound art - then enjoying refreshments, taking photographs and collecting field recordings to create an immersive sensory experience in one of the most beautiful of the U.S National Parks.
The hour walk goes through 2 forests, Baker's Beach, Lobos Creek and a boardwalk native plant preserve.
Each person/group receives an audio piece that no one else has ever heard, to listen to as we walk for the first hour in meditative silence. The audio piece uses found sounds to heighten your experience with your surroundings.
After stopping for a short break for refreshments and a photography informational, we then reverse the hike to shoot photos, collect sounds and touch/smell the different landscapes to complete this immersive sensory experience.
The sounds you collect will be included in the next version of the audio piece, for the next person/group, and your photographs will be uploaded for sharing [if you choose].
• To heighten a relationship to an important aspect of the city, and one of the most beautiful National Parks in the country.
• To learn to take better photos of places.
• To learn how to collect field recordings on your cellphone.
• To become a part of an on-going art piece.
• To more deeply experience the forests of the Presidio through the process of Shinrin Yoku. (Shinrin Yoku is Japanese for "Forest Bathing" or to 'bathe' in a natural environment through the senses. There is a great deal of scientific research available that firmly establishes the many benefits of spending time in nature.)
• Environmentalism is fostered. The more a place is experienced, the more people care about it.
I’m an artist, and run a non-profit called senseofplace LAB, which focuses on connecting people and places. I’ve lived in San Francisco for 7 years [in the Presidio], and have done projects all over the city. My experiences are for people that like photographing places, and want an individual interaction with SF. My mission is to have people connect more deeply with this amazing city. Full profile ⋅ Leave a Review
Receive special offers, VIP invites and exclusive updates for San Francisco.