Whenever there is a special event or festival, the indigenous Fijians celebrate with a communal lovo feast. Previously only accessible to outsiders who are royalty or emissaries, travelers can now be a special guest to this traditional ritual through Vayable. It is a uniquely South Pacific style of cooking that involves burying food under hot embers...and it is delicious!
You can also partake in any of the following steps if you wish or just relax by the beaches!
1. Collect coconut leaves to make coconut carry bags.
2. Shop for garden vegetables in the local market or gather from local patches.
3. Walk to the local farms to collect cassava and/or dalo (Fijian root crops).
4. Visit the kava shop to gather some ingredients
5. Spend the rest of the day cooking and celebrating local culture!
The process of creating a great lovo feast is fun and is a joint village effort. Go where few travelers have gone before to learn about the process of creating a lovo feast, get insight on special rituals, and partake in the delicious meal that feeds princes, kings, and locals alike.
Living in the Fiji Islands for four years. Have been developing a fresh style of adventure tourism that works in harmony with outer island villages. Excited to be involved with vayable.com to open the door for experiencing real culture in a real way. Full profile ⋅ Leave a Review