• $18 children 12 - 6 yrs & Azorean residents. Children 5 & under are free.
Pet a calf, milk a cow, taste raw milk, get immersed in the green of our island, and experience first hand what it's like to be an Azorean farmer.
The Azores account for only 2.5% of Portuguese territory, but provide about 30% of Portugal's total milk production! We have lots of truly happy cows here that graze on pastures and soak up the sunshine. If you're interested in getting a first hand look into the main industry on the island and experiencing how most people make a living here, then come milk a cow, taste some cheese and raw milk and learn why our milk production model results in happy cows and high quality products.
The tour we offer is quite casual, not a commercialized or business oriented tour, as the idea behind it is to:
1. Expose tourists to the day to day life of an Azorean dairy farmer (which the vast majority of men are dairy farmers on this island).
2. Allow tourists to have a unique experience on our farm - milking cows if they so wish, petting calves, feeding animals, etc.
3. Offer a taste of our milk and fresh cheese.
4. Show people that there is a sustainable and humane manner of raising dairy cattle.
5. Reconnect people with their farmers and the process involved to get their food from farm to table.
Hope you can visit us soon!
• Meet in the village of Achadinha (area of Nordeste) and then we'll take you to meet our cows from there.
• A taste of raw milk, cheese and bread
• Milk a cow, or a few cows
• Pet our baby calves
• Bookings made less than 4 days in advance may or may not include the cheese tasting (we need time to make the cheese and let it cure, so if it's a last minute booking it may not allow us enough time to offer the cheese).
• Fun Fact: Most people that can not digest pasteurized milk, don't show any symptoms when drinking raw milk since the enzyme (lactase) that breaks down lactose is still present.
Receive special offers, VIP invites and exclusive updates for Achadinha.