Lima is the capital of Peru and it was the most important city under the Spanish Colony, city of kings, culture and good food, Lima is the point of start for every trip in the country. Using the local transportation, I will show you Lima with the eyes of a local.
We will departure from Miraflores to Lima downtown using the Metropolitano, the bus system until Colmena Station, from there we will go to Plaza San Martín, just one block from the station. This Plaza was built in 1921 to celebrate the first century of independence. There we can find the Hotel Bolivar, with an excellent bar to drink Pisco Sour.
1) Jirón de la Unión: From Plaza San Martín we can walk all the way to the Main Square by Jirón de la Unión, a pedestrian Street. For many years it was one of the most important boulevards of the city, but nowadays it became completely commercialized. But it’s still the easiest way to arrive to Plaza de Armas. It will take you around 10 minutes walk.
2) Plaza de Armas: surrounded by the Government Palace, Cathedral of Lima, Archbishop's Palace of Lima, the Municipal Palace, and the Palace of the Union, the Plaza de Armas transports you to the colonial era.
3) Cathedral of Lima: Built in 1535, the cathedral suffered over the years different restyling, extensions and earthquakes. But it maintains the colony structure. We can visit the church, it offers guide services in English, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese. The Services Hours: Monday to Friday, from 9:00AM to 5:00 PM and Saturday from 10:00AM to 1:00 PM
4) Convento de Santo Domingo was founded in 1535 and is located just one block from Plaza de Armas. The service hours: Monday to Sunday, from 9:30 AM to 6:30 PM
We finally return to Barranco, the old bohemian district where we can rest and enjoy the architecture of this ancient neighborhood.
- Bus tickets: Miraflores-Lima-Barranco-Miraflores
- Entrance to the Cathedral and Santo Domingo
- Guide services
Beyond a tourist, I'm a traveler. I had the pleasure to travel around Peru due to my profession as a Tourism Manager that allowed me to understand the needs of every traveler. Since a backpacking trip to a 5 star luxury vacations, I can give you tips, recomendations or even plan your dream vacation. Full profile ⋅ Leave a Review
Receive special offers, VIP invites and exclusive updates for Miraflores.